- "Big Grim, Elita, Seaspray, you heard Prime's transmission! Let's roll out!"
Etaoin is a kid at heart. A kid from juvi, at least. He picked up the frequency of Optimus Prime's transmission, and Shrdlu played it for the rest of the group. When his group landed on Earth, he happened to land near the Old Junky Piece-of-Crap Used Car Lot, where he scanned his three altmodes.
Behind the Scenes
- Early names for him included Opti (representing his resemblance to Optimus Prime), Clop, Stallion, Steed, and Shrdlu (which ultimately became the name of his Mini-Con).
- An early vehicle form idea was that he would only became a Mustang (leading to the names Clop, Stallion, and Steed). The Mustang's model is that of first car of the mother of Etaoin's creator, as is his Caravan form, albeit her sixth car.
- The names of himself and his Mini-Con, Etaoin and Shrdlu, form ETAOIN SHRDLU, the 12 most commonly used letters in the English Alphabet in order, with E being the most used. In addition, his "Cynth Whip" weapon refers to CMFWYP, the next six letters in the same pattern. Curiously, VBGKQJ and XZ never appeared, apparently because his creator was too lazy to figure out a way to sneak that in.
- His line, "Huh. Starscream. It almost rhymes with...ELIMINATE!!!" is almost directly lifted from Family Guy, where Stewie says the same thing, albiet replacing "Starscream" with "Rogers."